Located high in the Grand Tetons of Wyoming, Jackson Hole skiing, started as a business for 4 teenage boys, known as the “Hoback Boys”. They delivered much-needed supplies to residents throughout Hoback Canyon. Through the years, skiing grew in the area. In 1966/67, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort opened officially.
From three chair lifts and one aerial tram, it has grown into one of the best ski resorts in the country. Jackson Hole Mountain Resorts is famous for its steep terrain. The label “The Big One” is known worldwide when you discuss great skiing. The trails throughout the mountain are magnificent. Skiers and snowboarders will find many opportunities for adventures and thrills.
The resort sits right between two mountains in the heart of the Tetons. Mt. Rendezvous and Mt. Apres Vous, both offer exciting trails for all experience levels. With 116 trails that have actually been named, and the highest vertical drop over 4,000 ft. there is absolute, no shortage of opportunities to experience the greatest thrills, Jackson Hole has to offer.
The absolute best Trail at Jackson hole
Back Country Guided Trail Skiing-If you are a well-experienced skier, the guided, backcountry trails are absolutely the best. The first resort in the US to allow skiers to go off the normal groomed trails, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort guides are experienced and ready to get you out in the “real” wild country. There are over 3,000 acres of steep, challenging, unchartered, trails that only the mountain goats get to see.
Along with the back-country trails, experienced skiers and snowboarders will find that the following trails offer the best of both mountains.
- Dog Face Trail-At the top of the list of extreme trails at Jackson Hole, the infamous Rendezvous Mtn would be my choice. With the vertical drop of over 4,000, I spoke of before, jumping into the bowl and taking off is amazing. Dog Face connects to various other trails for a steep, thrilling, downhill ride.
2. The Ten Sleep Trail-Not quite as steep as Dog Face, this trail offers a slow descent in the beginning but breaks into other extreme trails that get you down with the G-force you came to experience.
3. Cascade Trail-Over on Gondola Summit is the trail to try. Starting at 9095 ft. You experience unending opportunities to hone your extreme skills. Running through Dick’s Ditch is the ultimate, extreme fun.
For the intermediate skiers and snowboarders, don’t fear, Jackson Hole has much to offer in great trail areas.
- Horn’s Hole Traverse-This is perhaps the most scenic, yet mildly challenging trail in the resort for the in-between experience level skier or snowboarder. Running across the terrain, into the Nez Pearce Trail, as well as several other great areas, this trail is one of the best at the resort. Not as steep as the experienced trails.
2. South Pass Traverse-Probably one of the longest trails in the resort. It also crosses the terrain at a less steep angle. Going from Rendezvous across to Apres Vous, this magnificent trail is worth the trip in itself.
With mid-level action and tremendous opportunity for skill-building, this trail is fantastic.
3. Symmetry Trail-Running through the Togwotee Pass, Symmetry is the easiest mid-experience level trail in Jackson Hole. Not “easy”, just the easiest in this field. It still offers some thrills and excitement, but is great for building skills.
Ok, I haven’t left the beginners out. The trails at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort for beginners are second to none. The first trail on the list is:
- The Lower Teewinot-This trail comes off of the South Pass Traverse area. Specifically for beginners, this trail is great. The slope offers safety and confidence building. Easy and fun skiing or snowboarding, winding through the base of the Apres Vous.
2. Pooh Bear Trail-A shorter trail, but great fun for any beginner. Easy slope and quick descent for added beginner thrills with safe action.
3. Moose Alley Trail-Of all the beginner trails, this is the most fun. Crossing the base at an angle through scenic wooded areas is both exciting and fun. Great for beginners and for a slowed-down pace for anyone else.
Jackson Hole Mountain Resort has trails that entertain everyone. From the extreme at the summit of Mt Rendezvous to the nearly base level of The Lower Teewinot, the possibilities are endless for vacation fun with the entire family. Both snowboarders and skiers will be exhausted from the fabulous variety of trails offered at Jackson Hole.